How do I join?
Club membership is open to all. The club has a large active membership, which is currently around 170. Most club members live in or around Edinburgh, but a small number are scattered throughout the rest of the UK and beyond.
To join, come along to the Thursday pub nights or email firstname.lastname@example.org for details about joining by post.
The current (2016/17) annual subscription rate is £30, with a concessionary rate of £20 for the unwaged. This covers the club year, which runs from October to September. For new members wishing to join after the 1st of July, there is a special rate of £35 for 15 months or £25 for the unwaged, from July until September of the following year.
- Priority over non-members when booking on to club meets.
- Free use of the club hut.
- As a member of the Jacobites you are entitled to receive exactly the same benefits as an individual member of the MCofS – for further details click here.
- Opportunities to buy discounted clothing and equipment through local shops including Tiso, Cotswolds and Nevisport.
- Club newsletter – sent to all club members approximately every two months.
- Club journal – all members receive and can contribute to the annual journal.
- Members have access to the club gear—communal gear to hire for those who need it.
Info for current members
Current members click here for more information on member benefits.
The Jacobites Mountaineering Club has a constitution which in clause 3a. states that membership shall be open to anyone interested in the sport on application regardless of sex, age, disability (and other criteria). In addition clause 4. states that the Club is to be organised on friendly, informal lines and novices shall be encouraged to join. However, the Club does not organise activities specifically for children and its activities as a mountaineering club inherently include those that require a high degree of self-reliance and willingness to cope with risky and adverse conditions. In addition, many of its social activities are conducted on licensed premises. Thus the Club has the policy that persons under the age of 18, that is children, are welcome to attend all club activities, but they should be accompanied at all times by a parent or legal guardian.